How can I get a limited license or “Work Permit”?

Minnesota, like many other states, employs a pre-hearing license revocation system. If you have been arrested for drunk driving, the police will take your license away on the night of your arrest if:

(1) you refused to submit to chemical testing, or;

(2) you submitted to testing and the results showed a blood alcohol concentration of .08% or more.

You will be issued a 7-day temporary license, after which your privilege to drive is revoked. To obtain a limited license you must:

(a) Visit your nearest driver-testing station and take the written test for individuals arrested for drunk driving. You will be tested on Chapters 7 & 8 of the driver’s manual.  You no longer have to take the behind-the-wheel driving test;


(b) Pay the reinstatement fee;

The reinstatement fee is currently $680.00.

(c) Allow the statutory waiting period to expire;

(d) Visit the Department of Public Safety, Driver Evaluator Division, St. Paul, MN and show that you have passed the test and paid the reinstatement fee.

You will not be issued a limited license until your period of ineligibility has expired. Minnesota does not allow for an immediate limited license. Your current offense and prior DWI record determine when you are eligible for a limited license.

Contact Minnesota DUI Attorney F. T. Sessoms:

For answers to all of your Minnesota DWI and DUI questions, please call Minnesota DUI Attorney F. T. Sessoms at (612) 344-1505 today.